Want to create a film for F-O-R-M?
Apply for F-O-R-M Commissioning Funds!
Submissions Now CLOSED.
Please check back Fall 2017 for submission call
F-O-R-M's Commissioning Fund is for artists who have a new concept in mind and are ready to actualize their creation. We are excited to support participants in the opportunity to explore their creative practices further, and to offer support and resources that will help them fully develop their ideas into fruition. Artists are invited to apply with a new or existing film concept they have in mind to be premiered at our festival. F-O-R-M will give free creative rein to all applicants and will have professional artists and facilitators available to help with any technical or artistic questions you might have throughout your process. Our goal for this section of the festival is that selected artists will have the opportunity to develop their artistic voices and come out of this process with more experience and a final product they are able to share and submit to other festivals. F-O-R-M's Commissioning Funds act as a stepping stone for filmmakers to confidently continue working towards new projects. In partnership with Cineworks, this grant is also an opportunity for artists to have access to high quality camera's and other gear to create their new piece.
F-O-R-M presents films that deliver strong imagery of the human body in motion, explore the limitlessness of our physical capacity both creatively and athletically, and offer a sense of choreographic investigation between camera and movement, regardless of the form. We program unique and diverse films from around the globe. In addition, we are looking for innovative concepts, exceptional camerawork and cinematography, usage of experimental editing styles, or post-production effects that bring added layers to the subject matter. We encourage and support applications by/and/or featuring artists of all body types and abilities as well as indigenous, POC and LGBTQ communities.
- Proposals must be centred around the physical body in motion. (If you are uncertain about your proposal, please contact us)
How to Apply:
- $30+ GST application fee.
- All applicants must agree to the rules and regulations.
- Completed Application Form (below) including up to three links to past work or test footage for the idea.
- A single PDF document emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10th by 5:00pm PT that includes:
- Working Title and Description of proposed project (max 30 words)
- A detailed synopsis of the proposed short film that includes: a precise description of the proposed project. Can include: describing the look and feel of the film, what you hope the audience see's or will experience, description of movement qualities, you many include images that inspire the project, length intended etc.. (max 500 words) ** Note: final projects should be no longer than 10 minutes in length**
- Artist statement (max 400 words).
- A description of how this award will assist with the project. Consider responding to these questions: “Why This Project? Why You? Why Now?” (max 500 words)
- How this project will help in the development of your career. (max 300 words)
- How this film speaks to/about or involves community. (max 150 words)
- Biographies and/or CV's of main creative personnel. Include full name and date of birth. (max 1 page)
- Proposed detailed budget and timeline. Be sure to include Cineworks rentals if needed. Please visit http://www.cineworks.ca/make#equipment-rentals to see list of equipment. NOTE: If application is successful, each project will receive up to $1500 CAD in rental equipment at a non member rate.
- 1 signed letter of support from an established artist, teacher or mentor.
Selected participants will be notified the results by December 1st and will have until May 22nd 2017 to deliver their final product to be screened at the festival. If their application is successful, the grant will be dispersed half up front and half upon delivery of the final product. Selected participants will also have free admission to all festival events and two extra passes for their cast and crew. Selected participants will sign contracts with delivery dates (rough-cut and final), agreeing to submit budget actuals, a brief report/feedback form and be in communication with festival coordinators throughout their process. Participants must submit their full film, adhering to required formats, with program notes and credits by deadlines.
All applications will be looked over by our five juror's. Juror's will look at:
- Clarity, focus and vitality of proposed project.
- Innovation, risk and challenge for artists through the proposed project.
- Meaning and content in which movement is at the forefront of the narrative.
- Feasibility of the project. Artistic ability to carry through the project, with practical budget and timeline.
- Test footage supports and is relevant to the project.
- Importance to their artistic practice, career and community.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us an e-mail: email@example.com