Want to create a film for F-O-R-M?
Apply for F-O-R-M Commissioning Funds!
Deadline: March 31, 2018
F-O-R-M's Commissioning Fund Program is for Canadian youth artists (ages 15-25) who have a new short film concept in mind and are are looking for resources to actualize their creations. This program supports emerging artists in furthering the exploration of their creative practices by providing a $1500 grant, facilitation and equipment resources that will help them fully develop their ideas into fruition.
Artists are invited to apply with a new or existing film concept they have in mind to be premiered at our festival in September 2018 at the SFU Woodwards Cinema. F-O-R-M will give free creative rein to all applicants and will have professional artists and facilitators available to help with any technical or artistic questions they might have throughout their processes. Artists will have 4 months to complete their creations and throughout this time, workshop opportunities will also available to attend along side their creation processes. This component of the festival provides selected artists with the opportunity to develop their artistic voices, learn new skills, gain experience from working in a self produced environment as well as walk away with a final product they can share world wide. F-O-R-M's Commissioning Fund Program acts as a stepping stone for artists to confidently continue working towards future creative projects. In partnership with Cineworks Independent Filmmakers Society, this program is also an opportunity for artists to have access to quality camera's and other gear to create their new film.
F-O-R-M presents films that deliver strong imagery of the human body in motion, explore the limitlessness of our physical capacity both creatively and athletically, and offer a sense of choreographic investigation between camera and movement, regardless of form. We program unique and diverse films from around the globe. In addition, we are looking for innovative concepts, exceptional camerawork and cinematography, experimental editing styles and post-production effects that bring added layers to the subject matter. We encourage and support applications by/and/or featuring artists of all body types and physical abilities as well as indigenous, POC and LGBTQ2+ artists.
- Proposals must be centred around the physical body in motion. Dance, skateboarding, skiing, parkour, surfing etc.. How do you define movement? What is your definition of movement, and how do you portray this within your film or movement practice? We want to see your ideas and concepts around the theme of Recorded Movement, and to challenge this definition as you see fit.
- All applicants must agree to the rules and regulations
- Must be a Canadian citizen
- Lead applicant must be between the ages of 15-25 at time of submission
- Final projects must be submitted by August 20th, 2018 and will premier September 14, 2018
How to Apply:
- $30+ GST application fee. Payments made through pay pay pal, please see bellow.
- Completed Application Form (below) including up to three links to past work or test footage for the idea.
- A single PDF document emailed to email@example.com by March 31st, 2018 11:59PM PT that includes:
- Working Title and Description of proposed project (max 30 words)
- A detailed synopsis of the proposed short film. This can include: describing the look and feel of the film, what you hope the audience will see or will experience, description of movement qualities, you many include images that inspire the project, length intended etc.. (max 500 words) ** Note: final projects should be no longer than 10 minutes in length**
- Artist statement (max 400 words).
- Your inspiration behind the project, and why you wish to to undertake it this time. Consider responding to these questions: “Why This Project? Why You? Why Now?” (max 500 words)
- How this project will support the development of your career. (max 300 words)
- How this film speaks to/about or involves community. (max 150 words)
- Biographies of main creative personnel. Include full name and date of birth. (max 1 page)
- Proposed detailed budget and timeline. Be sure to include Cineworks rentals if needed. Please visit http://www.cineworks.ca/make#equipment-rentals to see list of equipment. NOTE: If application is successful, each project will receive up to $1500 CAD in rental equipment at a non member rate and $1500 in cash towards their projects.
- 1 signed letter of support from an established artist, teacher or mentor.
Selected participants will be notified the results by April 16, 2018 and will have until August 20th to deliver their final product to be screened at the festival. If their application is successful, the grant will be dispersed half up front and half upon delivery of the final product. Selected participants will also have free admission to all festival events and two extra passes for their cast and crew. Selected participants will sign contracts with delivery dates (rough-cut and final), agreeing to submit budget actuals, a brief report/feedback form and be in communication with festival coordinators throughout their process. Participants must submit their full film, adhering to required formats, with program notes and credits by deadlines.
All applications will be looked over by our five juror's. Juror's will look at:
- Clarity, focus and vitality of proposed project.
- Innovation, risk and challenge for artists through the proposed project.
- Meaning and content in which movement is at the forefront of the narrative.
- Feasibility of the project. Artistic ability to carry through the project, with practical budget and timeline.
- Test footage supports and is relevant to the project.
- Proposed project importance to their artistic practice, career and community.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org